Monday, May 16, 2011

It Comes In Threes

Death is a part of life, that is a simple fact. It seems that death for me though in the past 3 weeks has been a larger part of my life than I have ever had.

I found out today that my coworker died. I was supposed to work with him next Monday. He left behind 3 kids and a wife, who also happens to be my coworker.

He died of a heart attack waiting for his son to come out of soccer practice.

At least he tried to call his wife to say goodbye.

The second death is actually not of someone I knew personally, but followed online. She was part of the online community for those with Ovarian Cancer and always wrote humorously about her stage IV, triple-recurring cancer. Who knew that was possible. The last thing she wrote was that she was being taken off of her oxygen tank because the tumors in her lungs stopped responding to the drugs. She also left 2 kids and a husband behind. She always had hope of getting better...it seems that life had other plans.

The third, was Justin. I still don't know the exact reason for his death...it seems that they are still waiting for autopsy results. Only 25. Fell asleep to never wake up again.

My heart is absolutely breaking for the families that now have to pick up the pieces.

Right after I found out about Thomas (the coworker who passed away), I went over to the WiKu (my second school) to look for a friend, and happened to run into a memorial service. The whole schools was brought together, and the teachers were obviously distraught. Then the whole school sang this song, and I couldn't stop the tears from coming, and it seemed nobody else could either.



I wish they had sang in German because this might've meant less in a second language. But it hit straight home.

It's days and moments like these when I ask...why is it that life seems to push us to the edge, and push every single button we've got? I don't think it's fair to blame God, and yet it's moments like this I wish there was something to blame. To make sense of anything.
Life is unfair. I know that, but it doesn't mean it sucks any less, or that it hurts any less.

I guess the lesson to learn is simply to live. Life is stronger than death, and that is something to remember.

Things will get better at some point...they always do. Or so I hope.  I guess the only thing to do now is just put my head down, and barrel through the next few days and hope that I come out without a hard shell myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment