Hello All!
As I write to you now I am sitting on my bed, yes, my NORMAL bed in the US of A! It is an odd feeling being back in the US, especially since it has been such an odd/eventful trip thus far, and because 3 months really WAS a short time to be somewhere else. I see that checking my blog has been more popular than I ever thought...so I won't disappoint! Here's my update :)
I made it through the last 3 days of the x-mas week in Austria, taught too many lessons on the 12 days of x-mas (heard the song at least 14 times, never want to hear it again. ever. BTW shout out to Fleur for giving me the lesson inspiration...what would have happened without her as my inspiration would probably have sucked a lot), had many teachers wish me the best on getting out through the Paris airport, and had a much needed cleaning and packing session. I decided that since everyone was leaving on Wednesday/Thursday anyway, that I would join Ms. Fleur on her way to Munich to enjoy some sights and sounds of Deutschland before she left for France to celebrate with her fam (and I had to be there the next day anyway!). It was great since Fleur was supposed to have her sister there, so I was blessed to have a free bed to stay in (Thanks, Papa Baikie!) and great company. She and I both lived in Munich a couple of years ago, so comparing our experiences was wonderful...especially when you have such fond memories of a place, but from two different perspectives. It seems that Munich has inspired many a thing for both of us, has been a place of growth, new friends, crazy nights and in some cases, tough days. You learn a lot about yourself when you leave to a foreign country not knowing anyone or the language, and when you lack modern conveniences like internet, television, friends, modern washers and dryers...wait wait wait, I digress, you must force yourself to take a new stance and to teach yourself what you can really do, what you can put up with, and what you are really running away from when you NEED those things (minus the washers and dryers, I did fine).
In any case, we made it out to the Augustinerbräu for dinner after wandering about for a bit, and then headed back to the hotel for some girly pillow chat and an early 5:30 wakeup time. I stayed in bed till about 9 before I went out to scope the town a bit, and had the luck to meet up with one of my past German Professors in the train station for a quick coffee. It is wonderful to see people who have been such a large influence in your past, and especially for me to see other teachers, as I often think about how they influence my current teaching style or standards. Nicole was a great teacher and friend when she taught at Olaf and I am so glad that I was able to see that she is alive and well :)
After coffee, more wandering, a dash of getting lost and a whole lot of exhaustion I headed out on a VERY VERY full s-bahn to the Airport. Once I got there I checked into my hotel at the airport and lounged from my hours of strolling, waiting, standing, and more waiting...sounds less exhausting than it was, but believe me, it was tiring. I went over to the airport for dinner and then to the Airfrance desk to see how my flight was looking in the morning, and all signs were GREEN at that point.
Fast forward to the next morning, 5:40 am is when I checked out of my room, 5:50 am is when I go to the airfrance gate. 5:51 am is when I realized that my flight was cancelled and must stand in line to somehow figure out how to get home for christmas. 8:55 is when I go to the counter to talk to a rep for Airfrance. 9:15 is when I finished, getting a flight home not the same day, oh no, that would be too easy, but on the 25th at 6:55 am and the flight went as such: MUC --> Amsterdam --> LAX --> SFO
Lucky for me, they put me in business (READ: FIRST MOTHER-F-ING CLASS) from Munich to Amsterdam, and Amsterdam to LAX. Never have I ever been so spoiled in my life! I am going to make sure my flight gets cancelled every time!
Despite the fact that I spent christmas eve by myself in a hotel room bingeing on chocolate and too much bad television (this happened of course before AND after making it to my 5:15 pm buffet dinner because it closed at 6 so the staff could go home), I made it to bed at 8:30 or so for my 4 am wakeup. Ugh. Too early.
My flights were pretty uneventful, although I do have to say...business class rocks. I was not only in business class, but I was in the UPSTAIRS of the plane...I have to say, that's where the high rollers must go because none of the riff-raff of coach could come up and bother you or attempt to take a peek as to what is actually in the upstairs of a plane...(it is also where the pilots are!) I was served 2 glasses of champagne upon arrival (read: drunk at 10 am), and then a free snack, lunch with 2 more glasses of wine, white linens, REAL silverware, and a veal cut that was to die for. They tried to give us MORE booze, had a free snack area, and a free little house filled with Dutch Liquer when we left. I had no room to take it, unfortunately, but did appreciate the thought. The seats that were there reclined all the way back, the TVs were akin to 100 channels and like 200 movies, and I had blankets, pillows, an eye mask, free socks (??), and chapstick. Thanks, KLM, for thinking about my chapped lips. Really thoughtful.
After waiting for 3 hours though at LAX and a delayed flight back to SFO (thanks, for raining on my parade, weather. Literally), I made it in 1 piece, got my luggage and made it home to meet up with my Momma! It is wonderful to be home, not only because of the ability to understand everyone and everything, but it is nice to see my family and my little puppies, they are all SO loving and sweet! I've done some shopping, suffered some jetlag, and seen the sunshine. Life is good.
I fly to MPLS on Friday...I'm not ready for the cold, but am so ready to see my brother and his fiance, my other half of the fam, and all my friends from "home". Although it seems like life has been teaching me patience in the past week, I am just trying to be thankful that I have family and friends who care about me, and are willing to be patient with me as well.
I have my 1 year follow up appointment tomorrow at the cancer center. I think everything will be just fine, and I am looking forward to being 1 whole year in remission. What a year it has been...so many ups, downs, in betweens, tough days, good laughs, and healing. I am so thankful to be where I am right now, and thankful for everyone in my life... I cannot imagine life without you.
So, Merry Belated Christmas, everyone! I am looking forward to another new year, to another chance to work on myself and relationships, and to become even more health and knowledgeable about the world. I wish you safe travels, health, and happiness in the new year (if for some reason you don't hear from me before hand), and know that my heart is with you!
No comments:
Post a Comment